Remember when we talked about “listeners” and “tappers” and the Curse of Knowledge? As much sense as it makes to us, it doesn’t always click right away for students. Here’s a laugh-out-loud example:
Use formative questions that help you determine whether students are getting it or not. Here are a few ideas:
- Which ThroughLines are we studying in this unit?
- What have you learned about the ThroughLines in this unit?
- When you’re doing ______ (learning activity or skill), which ThroughLine do you think you are developing and practicing?
- How have you practiced living the ThroughLines? What is the most valuable things that you have learned?
- Do you ever think about the ThroughLines when you are not at school? Which ThroughLine have you used or thought about when not at school?
Do you have a good formative question to gauge comprehension? Share in the comments below.