The ThroughLine for this week is Beauty-Creating. Beauty-Creating is one of the ways that we extend God’s dominion over his earth, bringing order to chaos by producing works that stir imaginations and touch hearts. When we reflect the creativity of God by creating beautiful things, people are able to both know and feel God’s truth, goodness, and beauty. Logic and reason communicate to our intellect, but beautiful things grip our hearts. God intends for humans to feel appropriate affections in response to his truth, and art helps accomplish that.
Do you have any beauty-creating devotional ideas? Post them in the comments below.
- Why Christians Should Patin, Dance, Quilt, Act, Compose Music, Write Stories, Decorate Cookies, and Participate in the Arts, by Mark Altrogge
- Why We Need Artists, by Tim Keller
- Learning to Linger in a Spotify Age
- Making Music (An artist interview with songs/videos and the meanings behind them)
- The Story of God Illustrated (You could pick one or more of these images to project and lead students through a time or written or oral reflection.)
- How Stories Help Us Love Our Neighbors (Obvious overlap with neighbor-loving)
- How True Art Points to God
- Is Beauty Objective?
- When Beauty Blinds